Thursday, August 13, 2009

Jumping Back in to the Blog Pool

So here I am returning to this place of forgotten intentions. I figured since I was working on this ArtPrize project I would start my blog back up and not only document its progress day to day but throw in some random thoughts about life from time to time. I will do my best to make it worth your while but definitely no promises there. I still plan to do a weekly YouTube video on the production of the ArtPrize sculpture that you can find here.So... regarding the sculpture: FINALLY all of the
rocks are are formed! I cut, hammered, and welded the last one today. I'm sure once we start attaching them to the board we will have to alter or redo some of them, but for now no more making rocks. phew! Now... well now is the next fun phase of grinding all of the excess welding material off all of the rocks. That's 10-20 welds per rock x about 300 rocks. I ground rocks for
about 10 hours today.
Thomas Ouzts is the metal fabricator that is helping on the project (I could never have done it without him). He finished up some of the welding when he got home from work today too.
One of the best things about this project has been getting to know and working with Thomas. He listens to the same country radio station all the time and somehow I don't even care!
ArtPrize announced the 1000th artist today. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm really excited for this whole thing and what it is bringing to the city. I just hope it does good for the cause of art. We'll just have to see how it all shakes out. Anyway, tomorrow its another day of grinding rocks in at the shop in Cedar Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment